“Sport has the power to change the world, it has the power to inspire, the power to unite people in a way that little else can. It speaks to people in a language they understand. Our sporting champions spread hope and inspiration to the world.’’ Nelson Mandela
Physical Education Intent
At Ann Edwards we recognise the value of physical activity for children of all ages. Every year group participates in two sessions of PE a week as prescribed by the National Curriculum. The type of activity that the children have the opportunity to be engaged in during these sessions varies from traditional sports such as Netball, Cricket, Rounders, Tag rugby and Athletics and gym skills. As a school we are very fortunate to have excellent grounds and sporting facilities. Mr Thomas is our PE coordinator so if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact him.
We also encourage the involvement of external agencies to broaden the children’s ability to participate in sport. Swindon Football club have run skills sessions, a local archery group have come into school to allow children to try a new sport and we have run some taster sessions at the local Golf course.
We are very mindful that we are situated with the Cotswold Water Park so Year 3 and 4 pupils undertake one term of swimming lessons per school year. Any Year 5 and 6 pupils who have not achieved their 50 m badge will also have swimming lessons to support them in achieving this.
We also take advantage our local water sports centre, CWP Hire at lake 86 where children get a chance to explore a range of water sports from kayaking to paddle boarding.
In addition there are several additional inter school and district sports events which children from Ann Edwards participate in.
We will upload galleries, summary reports and events on this page regularly so that you can follow the sporting opportunities and achievements of pupils at Ann Edwards School. We encourage pupils to write reports following sporting events and hope that you enjoy these too.
P.E. offers children opportunities to:
- Acquire and develop movements and skills in a range of physical activities and contexts.
- Become skilful and intelligent performers.
- Learn how to select and apply skills, tactics and compositional ideas in team game situations.
- Understand what it takes to persevere, succeed and acknowledge other’s success whilst focusing on improving aspects of their own performance.
- Develop positive attitudes towards leading an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Embed values such as fairness and respect.
- Participate in inter house sports and wider community sporting events.